Pagina's


donderdag 8 maart 2012

Sailor 1911 Standard (First impression)

Yesterday, 16:05. The moment my way of writing would change forever. Or at least for the coming weeks.

It was just over a week after I bought the Sailor 1911 Standard from the eBay seller pisuke2005 and though the pen had already made the trip from Japan to the Netherlands, it had been stuck at customs for the past few days. Customs can take up to four weeks, so I didn't have my hopes up that it would arrive as soon as six days after it had been send. However, I guess because the seller had filled in the right forms that they didn't need to hold it that long. Of course, with EMS you can track your package, but your also bound to pay taxes. I didn't care so much about the taxes (I still saved some €30 and got some tea) when the package arrived, I just payed the delivery guy and there it was... My first Sailor fountain pen (and it will probably not be my last).



So, some first impressions after a day of writing.

First up, the looks. Of course, we all know it's what's on the inside that counts, however one just can't ignore the fact that this pen looks magnificent. It's the classic combination of black and gold and it works for the Sailor 1911. The black is really black, other than the black of my Waterman Kultur which is a lot more greyish. The golden band on the cap contains the words 'Sailor Japan Founded 1911' and it stands out real nice as to the other gold (plated) elements. Of course the nib is worth mentioning as well, shining gold and nicely decorated with the Sailor logo. A classy writer.



Then the writing itself, not fully irrelevant. With some help from the kind people of Fountainpennetwork.com and those the the Akkerman store in Den Haag I decided on a F nib in favour of the EF, which seemed really, really thin when I tried it at Akkerman. Being on a student budget I didn't buy it at the store, because the seller from eBay was a lot cheaper and supplied a converter. Since I prefer ink from a bottle to cartridges, that was not unimportant. 

Anyway, the writing. As readers who are familiar with brands like Sailor and Pilot know, the nibs of these Asian brands usually lay down a line that is thinner than that of their European counterparts. This is also the case with my Sailor 1911. Though the Waterman Laureat comes close, the Sailor F is much smaller than the F of my Waterman Perspective and Exclusive. The latter fountain pens are also quite wet writers, while the Laureat and the Sailor 1911 are less so, which suits me better. My handwriting isn't that neat, so it helps to have a little feedback when writing, though of course not so much that you feel like you're writing with a inked needle. Sailor's (as well as for example Pilot FP's) are known to be fine, yet pretty smooth writers and I have to agree: it's everything I would expect from a fountain pen that writes this fine. While my Perspective flies over the paper making it very easy for me to write jibberish (at least that's what other people say, I can read it perfectly fine), writing with the Sailor 1911 gives me more control yet still writes very nice.

A small example comparing the Sailor 1911, the Waterman Laureat, Waterman Exclusive and the Waterman Perspective.


So that's my first impression of my new Sailor 1911. Of course, this is only day one and it will take at least a few weeks to get fully used to it and to be able to write a good review. However, after the first 28 hours I am very happy with this new addition to my pen collection. :)

More pictures here.

6 opmerkingen:

  1. Just so you know that you are not without an audience, I thought I had better leave a comment. That was a nice summary of your initial impressions of the 1911 Standard. You might have mentioned that the nib is 21kt (if, indeed, it is), versus the 14kt that is more usual for export. The 21kt Sailors are made for the Japanese market. I do own one of these pens, but don't use it often because I prefer Platinum/Nakaya products.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thanks for the comment Suzanne, I wasn't sure anyone was reading my blog since I haven't had the time to update it recently... :)

      I had the choice between a 14k and a 21k nib, but opted for the first one because 14k is regarded (bases on sources like Richard Binder, Nakaya pen company) as the best material for nibs. Also, the price of the 21k was higher. But thanks for the info, I was wondering why the people at the pen store I visited said there was no such thing as as 21k nib for a Sailor 1911 Standard.

      I've been drewling looking at those Nakaya's, they are so beautiful. How would you compare the writing and feel of the Sailor to that of the Nakaya?

      Verwijderen
  2. That's a tough question. First, because I haven't inked the Sailor in six months, and second because mine is the 21Kt nib, so it isn't a direct comparison. I suppose the fact that I have written almost exclusively with Platinums and Nakayas for the past six months (even though I do own an assortment of fountain pens of various brands in a broad price range) is enough of an answer. I would not say that the Sailor nib is any less smooth than a Platinum/Nakaya nib - it might even be a little smoother. The pen body of the 1911 Standard, I find a little short (I don't post the cap).

    What I love about Nakayas is the urushi. Once you get a taste for urushi, resin pens seem rather boring and commonplace. I am also a total sucker for anything with a heart-shaped breather hole. I chose to focus on Platinum/Nakaya for interchangeability of converters and cartridges. It is annoying that the other Japanese pen companies offer different cartridges and converters. One ends up with a whole lot of different sizes, and never the right one at any given time. With all the same accessories, I can even 'hot swap' cartridges.

    Enjoy your Sailor! It is fine pen for a fair price.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. The body of the 1911 is indeed a bit short, even for someone with small hands like myself. I usually post the cap of all my pens, even for my Waterman Perspective which is already quite heavy without it. I guess it's the convenience and maybe some balance issue. However for the 1911 is almost a necessity. Though I must say when it is capped, the feel and balance is excellent for me.

    I've been reading some more about these Nakaya's and I'm getting more and more excited. I already love the resin on the Sailor so I've probably go nuts with the urushi. But buying a Nakaya will have to wait 'till I'm not a student anymore. Though the pen itself would be 'only' €418, together with the shipping cost, taxes and customs it would be more like €520. That's not an amount I can spend on a pen at this point, unfortunately.. However I can still dream, and just look at the pens. ;)

    Anyway, I don't want to put aside my Sailor so soon, I really like it so there's no real reason for me to buy another pen. Also, I want be able to know exactly what I want when I'm going to buy the Nakaya. I've read they ask you a series of questions before you buy the pen to 'customize' it?

    And thanks, I will. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. My name is Sophie Cazenave, I work for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in Montreal.
    I am the French editor of a site that publishes original Canadian writing commissioned by CBC radio (www.radio-canada.ca/zonedecriture)
    To illustrate one of our short stories, I'd like to have your permission to use one of your Sailor 1911 photographs.
    Can you please let me know asap if you grant us the permission?
    Your name would be of course credited in the entry (I can also link to your blog it you want).
    Thanks a lot!
    Sophie
    PS: you can write to me directly at :
    sophie dot cazenave at cbc.ca

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hi Sophie,

    I send you an e-mail just now. :)

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen